Last Tuesday we had a consultation with our new RE….who only at this moment have I decided to call Dr Hail Mary, as this last IVF is our Hail Mary….the clock is ticking down (on our insurance) and we’re far from the endzone, so we’ve gotta call an unconventional play.
He was great but the meeting had its frustrations, mainly over stuff that we can do nothing about….because it’s in the past. He could not have disagreed more with my previous RE’s protocol….saying such things as “she’s lovely but her protocols are different than ANYONE else’s”…..”why she would put Lupron and Ganirelix is the same protocol…..I just don’t know”….and “your prolactin was slightly elevated, we would have been more aggressive with that.”
Apparently it would have been good if I went to school first before needing assisted fertility so that I could be my own expert. Nope. We trust our doctors. We take a risk on them. We figure that they know what they’re talking about. I liked The Russian alot, I put my faith in her….it’s tough to hear that her protocol just wasn’t good for me. There were a number of times Dr. Hail Mary said things about a test he wanted to do or an aggressive approach he’d likely want to look into that confirmed suspicions I’d had or things I’d asked The Russian about that I was assured were alright.
I guess I’m saying all of this because maybe 2nd opinions are good if you’ve got the time and energy for them. If only there was an IVF Yelp.com out there that we could trove. I’d heard very good things about The Russian, talked with other patients, had a good feeling…. Also, while there’s alot you can learn about treatments and doctors on the internet, so much of it is opinion based (often by people without a medical degree), alot of it’s on message boards filled with My RE’s Right and Yours Is Wrong…..and really, there are alot of different protocols out there.
But again – we cannot change the past, we can only look forward.
And so, Dr. Hail Mary is going to take this next cycle to run an onslaught of tests on this old girl and her hubbo and then based on all that information map out a protocol for us to try. He says chances are pretty low given my age (and yes, he did gently push donor eggs, which we declined with thanks for the information) but that we’re also not without hope. He said that he’s very honest with folks that would be best moving forward with other plans….but that we’ve at least got that low inkling of a chance.
So here I am waiting for my period so we can get all these tests rolling. If I were to go by my pre-IVF cycle length of 24-25 days, it’s a few days late…..but a bit of interweb trolling tells me that Lupron can sometimes cause things to be a bit delayed. If there’s still no sign of my lady times by week’s end I’ll likely take a test and then call Dr. Hail Mary’s office to see if we need to see what’s up.
I’m excited to get going – I like Dr. Hail Mary….I feel like this is going to make for some good stories.